Controlling Anxiety – a tool to help you self regulate your mood.
Expanding Ball Mindfulness Exercise – purchase ball
Next time you feel yourself getting anxious or stressed try this exercise. Notice your breathing. You’re probably breathing shallower, maybe up in your chest and not from your belly. You’re heart is beating faster. You’re thoughts are racing. You’re time traveling. The “what ifs” are entering your mind.
- Stop and take a moment to come back to the present.
- See the ball and all its colors.
- Visually place the ball in the part of your body you feel anxiety. For some people it’s their stomach. Others it’s their chest that tightens up. And for some it’s in their throat.
- See the ball expand slowly and then contract. Breathe deeply and slowly and see the ball in the part of your body that tenses up.
- Try to engage as many senses as you can. Hear your breath. Feel your ribs and chest expand. See the colors of the ball.
- Breathe deep several times while in your mind’s eye you watch the ball expand and contract.
- You can do this sitting at your desk, talking to your boss or anytime you are time traveling and feeling the fear of the unknown. Bring yourself back.
- Choose a phrase or word to remind you of this tool and alert you to calm down Some people use, be here now, balance , breathe or center. Practice this several times a day and it will eventually become intuitive.
Give it a try when you find yourself anxious, scared or amped up.